I bought a big bag of quinoa from Costco to cook during the Beachbody Ultimate Reset, so I intend to make a lot of good use out of it. I'm more than pleased with the meals so far, now it's time to broaden the spectrum. Savory, spicy now sweet. Giving credits where it's due, I got the idea from SparkPeople website. Now if you have ever done a reset or detox or cleansing or pretty much have been scaling back on your intake of salt, sugar and over-saucy, over-rich food your taste buds will become more sensitive. I'd like to called it a transcended palate, which can differentiate even the subtleties of taste.
Anyway, first pass of the recipe was way too sweet! Too much for the first meal of the day, but may be okay for afternoon desserts over coffee. So here's the modification.
Cinnapple Berry Quinoa4-6 servings
Total time: about 30 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa*
- 1 cup pure pressed apple juice - no sugar added
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 cups almond/soy milk - non sweetened
- 1 tbs cinnamon - more if you like
- 2 cups of berries
- 1/4 cup almond slices
- Boil quinoa with water and apple juice. Bring it to simmer and cover until almost all of the water is absorbed - about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour in almond/soy milk and cinnamon. Stir and let it simmer.
- Cover, stir occasionally for about 10 to 15 minutes (10 minutes if you like it wet-oatmeal like).
- Mix in berries, serve it sprinkled with almonds.
Don't let the portion fools you. It is a filling breakfast/snack. Total cure for your sweet tooth.
|Variation: More liquid (soy milk) and using kiwi & strawberries|