Fit Pantry - a Fit Foodie's thoughts, tips and recipe

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

PiYo - Defining Myself

Maintain your body properly and it will serve you long 
and well through the years. 

At 40s, I rethink what I'm doing to my body — what I eat, what activities I do. I’m more cautious of injuries and rightly so because older cells don't regenerate and recover as fast as when I was in the 20s.

Granted I'm more active now and definitely in better shape then I was 20 years ago, I still can't defy time.  I’m not waving the flag or throw in the towel, … heck, I can probably outlast you (younger folks) in INSANITY workout any day if you challenge me.  But,  

I plan to age gracefully, 
              without the aches and pains on my joints. 

So mixing up the workouts is my long term plan. Gradually phasing out the high impact workout is part of the plan, but …. not quite yet :) 

My grand plan will kick start in August, along with my first PiYo Challenge Group. I am excited!  I am too hyper to stay still too long in yoga and too impatient doing pilates. So what makes PiYo different?

PiYo is a combination of pilates and yoga, a workout format created by Chalene Johnson.  It has been exclusively taught at select gyms, until recently Beachbody produced the home version. This PiYo home version is an all inclusive workout program from meal plan, peer support, and of course the workouts (total of 8 + 1 bonus): core, upper/lower body, cardio, strengthening, balance and body alignment, along with calendars to schedule the workouts. The pace in the workout varies from slow to moderate. Holding long enough pose to increase flexibility without falling asleep…. Ok I am exaggerating :)  Basically you move through the workout gradually from slow to medium pace, increasing flexibility, coordination and balance at the same time.

Another enticing factor of PiYo is the lack of equipment needed. Just like INSANITY, my body is the only instrument needed in the workout, making it super convenient!

So, NO JUMPING, NO WEIGHTS. Sounds good to me. 

If you have taken yoga or pilates before, you know that moving at a speed of slow doesn’t mean you won’t be sweating. At times it is harder to hold the pose and maintain your balance.  I know that flexibility means better range of movements and helps me perform better in other workouts — kick higher, squat lower, move faster, etc.  I know core strength is never bad and the benefit will carry on until I’m old — the idea is so that I won’t ever need a cane to walk :)

I have been doing yoga and Body Flow once a week for the past month.  And I’ve noticed the difference by adding this type of workout into my routine already. However, those are gym workouts. I want something I can easily do at home, because my gym time has been occupied with the crazy intense ones, like INSANITY, Body Combat, and Turbo Kick. 

Hence PiYo is perfect. I can do it at home and I have a schedule to follow, so I won’t be sporadically guessing what to do each day.  I want to gather more people into my Challenge Group: Lean and Tone, because it’s just more fun when you know there are others doing it together with you :)

Can’t wait until my PiYo package arrive. Counting the days now…..

A glimpse into PiYo (video) ->
Info on Challenge Group ->
Get PiYo Challenge Pack->
Get PiYo the workout only ->


The quote in the picture above is taken from Chalene Johnson. I claim no ingenuity of the phrase, although, it does apply perfectly in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment