Fit Pantry - a Fit Foodie's thoughts, tips and recipe

Thursday, December 12, 2013

We're Singing, Dancing and Running in the Rain!


Last Saturday despite crappy weather, some of us laced our shoes, wore tutus, blinking hat and headed out to the beach at 6:00 in the morning. Christmas was not until 18 more days yet we thought it was never too early to celebrate the season with a .... different kind of activity. So there we were, in the morning drizzle that at times turned into light rain, pacing the pavement with hundreds of people mostly dressed in red and whites with bells or candy cane socks, antlers, and santa outfit.  It was the 36th Annual Santa Monica - Venice Christmas Run. 




Sharing Purple Yam and
Nutella Cream Cheese Toast
First time running in the rain, I might have over-prepared. But who cares!! I'm a newbie! Poncho made out of cut out garbage bag, brought that silver foil space blanket, snacks and food in the car, coffee (although it was cold by the time we were done running ... still good tho!), blanket and towel waiting in the car, sandals, change of clothes.  Let me put this down for the record: I love my CRV with limo tinted window, privacy in the car is almost guaranteed. Not that people would be looking in as they scrambled away to their own car in the rain anyway, so Elise and I changed in the car and warmed ourselves up real nice after the race. 

No one's spirit was dampened by the rain. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves regardless of wetness and cold. Being here with friends, amidst the rain, sweat, and cold, I feel blessed.  I wasn't there to simply bust my knees on the pavement, heck most definitely not for the cold morning air! 

This was not about medals, not about personal record. If you ask me why I do this, here is my answer: 
In this run and any other run that I have done or will participate in, I am there to be with friends, to connect people or be connected, make new friends, to bond, and to strengthen friendships. 

If I were just there for the medal or PR, I'd be going home empty. But when a group of friends doing this together, it transformed into something beautiful - even though it may rain or storm, a memorable day and we all would go home with a full heart.  (.....and empty stomach! Hence we always have a celebration brunch together :) )

Here's to close 2013. I look forward to 2014 and more fun ahead.

Find me on Facebook and check out the rest of the photos from this event!

No comments:

Post a Comment